Wednesday, March 31, 2010

9 Weeks- Grandpa Steve Visits

Mauer’s official stats: as of 10:20 AM on Monday, March 29, 2010
Height- 2 feet (83% for his age)
Weight- 11 lbs 2 oz (32% for his age)
BMI- 13.58
Head Circumference- 15.31 inches (22% for his age)



(for Grandpa Dave)

I do not want to jinx anything but Mauer has had 8 days (in a row) of sleeping six or more hours while it is dark outside. Okay, I’ve just knocked on wood. While we are enjoying these large chunks of sleep, I find myself waking up anyway!

Mauer looks like he is ready to walk. We have noticed that he likes to “be on his feet.” Obviously, he is not ready to do that yet, but we thought he might like the exersaucer. I pulled it out and put him in it and it swallowed him up. It is set to the smallest setting but he still could not reach the ground. I put padding all around his midsection but he was still too little. When he is bigger, he’s gonna love it!

Our new favorite picture

A week in Review
Thursday
On Thursday afternoon, I walked out my front door and saw a HUGE plume of black smoke across the street. Within
minutes, I could hear sirens. On our small loop, there were at least six full sized fire engines, several ambulances, squad cars and other first response vehicles. I could see the back of the house and there were flames coming out the vents in the roof. The fire department did not get there in time. Once there, they were able to put the fire out within 6 minutes. They ended up pulling a man and his dog from the fire. It was pretty sad. This is the article from The Olympian.

After all that commotion, we went to the airport to pick up Grandpa Steve & Lori. It was a pretty late night, so we all went to bed.

Friday
Todd had to go to work. I took Steve, Lori & Mauer to Boston Harbor Marina. It is about 8 miles north of downtown Olympia. (Jenny & Cary- this is where we kayaked from). We saw some pretty cool “sea life,” two starfish (one yellow & one purple), and sea cucumbers. We also found a “sucky thing” that was red with orange dots. Next, we went to the 5th Ave sandwich shop. This is ALWAYS a good stop for lunch. I showed them the hot spots around town then we went to Todd’s office for a coffee break. For dinner, Lori made shrimp stir fry and Carmel brownies!

Saturday
We loaded up the trunk for a picnic and headed north! We couldn’t have picked a nicer day to visit Alki Beach. When we got there, an area was blocked off with yellow tape. A baby seal had weaned from its mother and was lying on the beach. “Seal Sitters” were there to make sure people were obeying the yellow tape and to answer questions. But, after a few hours, the seal coroner came… As it turns out, many seal pups do not live. Although, I took several photos, it was too sad to post a picture. There was REALLY good people watching, as you can imagine. After about 4 hours, we decided to drive home. For dinner, we went out to the Oyster House, one of our favorite seafood spots.

Sunday

We had a special request to attend church for Palm Sunday. I called my old neighbor Michelle to join us. She goes to St. Mike's and typically goes alone. Mauer slept through the entire service! After church, we had brunch at Cicada. This is one of my favorite breakfast spots. Once we were home, and it was raining good and hard, Todd planted a tree. Steve and Lori bought a tree for Mauer. It is a Japanese Stewertia.

We didn't have any family photos! Now we do!
Monday
Todd had to work so I Drove Steve & Lori to airport. Then Mauer and I met Daddy at the clinic for Mauer’s doctor appointment and immunizations. He did really well, considering he was poked 3 times. Once we were home, he had a rough afternoon but he is back to his normal self. We are still recouping from the long and busy weekend!

This is my last week of Maternity leave. Todd has been calling this my “training wheel” month. When I return to work, it will be spring break so I will not have any staff or children at the center. This will be great in case I need Mauer or he needs me, Todd can bring him into work. He will be staying home with Mauer for two weeks. Then Grandma Ginger comes for a week and after that, Grandpa Dave and Luann will come for a week. Mauer won’t have to go to day care until May! This is the best scenario we could have asked for. A nice transition for Mommy! This also means blog entries will have less effort on my part. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment